We grow a garden for everyone — there is no test for who deserves fresh, nutritious food.
Our garden is a “family garden,” we tend everything together rather than keeping individual plots. We deliver the best of the harvest to places where food is being shared in our community.
We build our work to ensure that anyone can contribute their talent and resources.
Sharing the work allows us to use the resources in our community efficiently. Diverse investments by many people gives us the power to confront challenges and meet needs that arise from year to year.
We create processes so that people in our community determine how we work together.
We listen, ask questions, provide support, try out ideas, pilot methods, check in with people, ask more questions, and revise what we’ve tried with people who are benefiting from and contributing to Dig In. We’re doing the work of building the capacity and power of those on the front lines whose needs make them the best people to create community solutions.
We envision a vibrant local food system, built from collaboration and community care, where everyone has access to plentiful, locally grown fresh food. By coming together and sharing the work, resources, knowledge, and fruits of the harvests, the fabric of our community is strengthened.
We work within our communities to grow and share from our gardens so that everyone can eat well.
- We believe fresh food is a right, not a privilege. We grow food together so we can offer our best to our neighbors.
- We value the dignity of each person and believe working with kindness and compassion makes our community stronger.
- We value the voices of all our neighbors. We each have something important to contribute to this work.
- We value generosity and believe that through sharing we create abundance in our communities.
- We value learning together and the skills and knowledge passed along that create a vibrant and resilient community.
- We value our earth and practice agricultural methods that will enable future generations to inherit healthy soils, clean water, and the ability to grow their own food.
HOW WE WORK
- We actively listen to understand the needs of our communities to ensure our work is rooted in the values of dignity, equity, and collaboration in our local food system.
- With our volunteers we create a cooperative spirit in growing and sharing food to meet the needs of people in our community.
- We develop connections that foster the leadership, creativity, commitment and partnerships necessary to create food security in our community.
- We support and work with people and groups to grow and share fresh and healthy food with people in our local communities.